Saturday, November 12, 2005

from the "gee, I can't believe it" dept.

Eight days ago I started the G.I. Diet. Not for military types, as you might think... the G.I. stands for Glycemic Index. Read about it at www.gidiet.com.

On Nov. 4th, I weighed myself at the shipping department of CTV. I expected 250 or some such. The actual figure was 235.

Some comparisons:

Grade 9: 216
1984: 351.5
1993: 180
Nov 4: 235

As you know, weight has always been an issue, except when I lived in Halifax and was able to finally beat the demon. Mountain biking with friends was the key... and after cycling Spain and Portugal, I weighted a scant 180. Which was actually too light!

But in recent years, age and lifestyle have been allowing the weight to creep on again. Nothing like my biggest. But, still, as I sail through my 40's, I know that carrying extra lard is not a healthy thing to do.

A few people at work have been on the G.I. Diet and experienced substantial weight loss. I investigated, and with the blessing of our station's health reporter -- a doctor -- I embarked on the G.I. Diet.

It is pretty easy (see the website) and didn't require any big changes. Just a more even schedule of eating and an awareness of fat and sugar.

And, despite veering off course a couple of times over the past week (evil beer at evil Barney's), I have tried to be true to the plan.

Today I went to the shipping department of CTV and hopped on the scale. The result: 228 (with a flicker to 227!). Meaning 7 pounds of heart killing lard dropped off.

Very good news. And encouraging. I think I can be even more committed this coming week. Halifax may be a bit of a struggle, but we'll see.

199, here I come!

Cheers!

No comments: