Wednesday, June 07, 2006

from the "winsday" dept.

Midweek already. Tempus fugit.

Today is my 5th day off in a row, but it really feels like the first. I think I've finally caught up on my sleep and having a dependable car at hand (a 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser convertable - red), has been a blessing.

I've done a lot of exploring around the Lower Mainland, trying to fight the guilt of having time off. I have *no* idea where that comes from - solo-mind games, I reckon.

On Tuesday I headed east almost as far as Princeton, BC - about 250km from Vancouver. It was a great day - hot and sunny. The top was down, my face slathered with +30 sun block, the tank full of gas and no agenda.

And I burned the crap out of my scalp. Can't wait for that to peel!

Regardless of the 3rd degree burn ala tete it was a fantatic drive through deep valleys and snow capped peaks. I even ran across a burned out gas station, which provided a photo opportunity.

Never open


Shattered


What's so funny?


Ex-gas station

The ruins of the station are about 25km southeast of Hope. I recall seeing a news story on the fire a week or two ago. Apparently it was arson and if not for passers-by, guests in the hotel part would have been overcome by the smoke and fire.

There are lots of things swirling around in life these days. An upcoming move (blah!), work (harrumph!) and dealing with the taxman (sigh). All part of being a small business of one.

But, at least it's not raining!

On today's agenda: head down to the USA and explore NW Washington State. Lunch at the La Conner Brewing Company. They have an awesome cranberry, pine nut and spinach salad. I can taste it now.

And then I'll head hither and yon in search of photographic subjects. Probably not much in the way of decrepit old factories, but one never knows.

A ghost town or old silo would be interesting too.

Thursday it's time to start pre-work on a bunch of things (see above). And I'm back to the news game Saturday and Sunday.

So far, so good.

Cheers!

No comments: