Sunday, December 28, 2003


Sunday morning writing exercise.
Background music: Ben Harper -- Diamonds on the Inside.

Random thought: sadness at the closing (Dec 31) of the Sugar Refinery.


After an alarm-less waking at 7:30am, I set about to use my hours in the most efficient and relaxing way possible. Task #1: watch the final hour of the film High Fidelity. It was on when I got home from work late last night. I watched for as long as my brain would allow and then rolled tape in a preemptive move to counter falling asleep on the couch. Which I did.

I love that movie. I believe I shall own it one day when I once again allow myself to spend with the frivolity to which I am accustomed.

After the credits rolled, I realized that I need to lose of my Christmas lard. Positive thinking did nothing. A couple of eggs slathered in hot sauce (Marie Sharps from Belize) was a guilt-free start to the eating day. And then, after tossing in a load of laundry, I decided it was time for a 45 minute walk thorough this neigbourhood of mine.

I passed the kooky blossoming tree and snickered. I gave my best death-stare to a drug dealer standing at the corner. No bud today. Up Commercial Drive I strolled, past folks in the Italian coffee shops (I know this because of the large numbers of smoking Italians gathered outside in their Sunday best) and the nouveau-trendy in their berets (they're the ones who drive the Benz SUVs and buy coffee at Starbucks of all places. Note: Commercial Drive is the home to the best INDY coffee joints in the city. There are 20 of them and one StarYUCKS -- and people STILL hand their money over to the snobby barristas).

I also spotted people with snowboards, hippies eating organic breakfasts at Cafe Du Soliel and Cafe Deux Soliel, and even a clutch of homeless people in a makeshift room on top of a steam vent. They were discussing mad cow disease.

Past more dealers and trendoids I strolled. At JJ Bean, my other favourite coffee joint, I nabbed an Americano Misto and read Cleo Paskal's travel column in yesterday's National Post. This woman has my career!!!

An about face brought the sight of the North Shore mountains into view. The snow from yesterday is thick -- and covers much of the lower part of the mountains. Beautiful. And a nice contrast to the hundreds of car accidents last night, caused by the very rare snowfall (which was very very little down here at sea level).

A hobo held the door for me as I popped into the bank to sneak another $20 for my wallet. And before I knew it, I was snickering at the cheery cherry blossom tree and almost back home.

The sun is shining, and it saddens me that I must go into work at 2. But if I want to buy High Fidelity, its what I must do.


Hoo hoo!




No comments: