Wednesday, March 26, 2008

from the "live free or die" dept.


Since I've been back in Canadaland I've not had to pay rent. I've been lucky. Between housesitting gigs and friendly couches, I've been able to live in one of North America's most expensive cities rent free.

Imagine my surprise when I discovered that I can live free in Mexico too.

From Gadling:
Many homeowners in Mexico are Americans and Canadians who spend half the year chilling out in Mexico and the other half at home. Understandably, a major concern for them is leaving their homes empty for months at a time. They are looking for trustworthy and reliable people to take care of their homes, keep their plants alive, babysit pets and discourage theft. When all is said and done, it's a pretty easy job, and somebody's got to do it.

Ads for housesitters in the Baja run in many of the local publications like the Gringo Gazette (I know...the name really is awesome) and the El Calendario de Todos Santos. Being a green thumb, pet-lover, or fixer-upper type can help to secure a position and a solid reference will do wonders. Housesitting is a great way to check out Mexico and the most you have to worry about are utilities and food.

How great is that? You could live rent-free for months in Mexico (sweet!), possibly in a really swanky pad (even sweeter) How could it get any better?

For the whole post, click HERE.

Bon Voyage!

No comments: