Wednesday, July 16, 2014

THR +12

July 16, 2014

The latter part of Tuesday was great. Got together with an old pal and we visited a couple of watering holes on The Drive. It was nice to have someone mule my big foam pad -- which allows me to sit in regular chairs (I have to keep my hips 2" above my knees). The pad is high density foam, meaning that it's not very soft/comfortable. But, it's nice to get out and sit! Until this point all my excursions have involved standing at a bar.

The apartment was hot as hell again, but I moved the a into the "bedroom" (which is little more than a mattress tossed on a pullout couch in the kitchen). This made a huge difference and I was actually cold enough to reach for a blanket. Needless to say, I had a much better sleep.

I'm still suffering from a sore right shoulder and a sore right hand. Both are likely connected to my big fall at the end of May when I bruised my ribs. I think the constant use (of the hand, especially) is preventing healing. I'm going to ask the physio therapist about it. The hand doesn't hurt a lot, but it is tender and one of the fingers is fairly weak. Tendon issues, methinks.

The hip is about the same. I had a ton of swelling yesterday -- both the left foot and left leg. It was so hard to get my sandal on my left foot that my metal extended shoe horn (which I have to use so I don't bend) bent! It took 20 minutes and an awful lot of patience swearing to get the sandal on my left foot. Not fun. I'm not sure what I'll do today.

The wound is all healed now. Staples come out on Friday. And then it's off to physio. Not sure how I'll get there -- likely HandyTransit.

I'm feeling pretty good. There's not a lot of pain, but there is a fair amount of stiffness if I sit in one spot for too long. The swelling is usually gone in the morning, but increases throughout the day. There's some tingling. All normal, say the experts.

I still don't have much of an appetite. I had a disappointing dry chorizo sausage in a dry bun Tuesday at a place called Falconetti's on Commercial Drive. The drinks were good, but the restaurant had a fly problem and the server had an attitude problem. Needless to say, we didn't stick around. It was expensive too. $13 for what was basically a hotdog. Live and learn! We ended up at The Storm Crow Tavern for the rest of the evening.

Today's goals: home physio. A couple of walks (if I can get my shoes on). And some writing work. But first: a pot of coffee!

UPDATE: Got my work done and escaped the house. Not a far walk -- maybe 5 blocks in total plus the 10 flights of stairs. Picked up some groceries. No pain when I started, lots of pain now. Odd.

Ah well...


No comments: