Thursday, July 17, 2014

THR +13

July 17, 2014

I'm still finding it difficult to sleep. I just can't get comfortable -- not on my back nor my side. And forget lying on my stomach! The shoulder pain seems to flare up too. I definitely need to take my oxy in order to make it through the night.

It was a cool night, thankfully -- so I did get some sleep.

The hip is tight and sore this morning. I'm going to attempt doing laundry solo. I also have to go to the hardware store for some no-slip stuff for the tub. My fear of falling is huge!

I'll do all the above on my own, of course. If I don't, no one else will. 

That's is as of 7:40am.

UPDATE (9:30pm):

What a shit show!

So, the morning was derailed when my toilet overflowed. I flushed and the "water" rose and rose and rose. Up and over the lid, onto the porous floor. I grabbed as many towels as I could to try and soak up the "water" before gravity pulled it down into the suite(s) below.

It's hard to wipe up a floor of "water"when you can't bent or twist. But I did, then threw the towels into a big garbage bag.

I went down to check on the suite below, but no one was home. I left a note and crossed my fingers.

Then I did not one, but two loads of laundry -- the load I'd planned to do, plus the bonus load of soaked towels. Ugh.

A little later the landlord's son popped by. He said some water made it all the way to the 1st floor. I'm on the 3rd. He wasn't mad, but he wasn't helpful either. He figured the toilet would fix itself.

Right.

We pulled the cover off the tank and I tried flushing slowly by holding on to the valve. The water flowed into the bowl and kept rising. Not good.

I asked if he had a plunger. He went off to find one, returned empty handed and said he had other stuff to do. And off he went...

After all the laundry was done, I showered and headed over to the local hardware store. I bought some non-slip strips for the tub and a funky plunger.

After a few attempts at plunging, I'm still a little afraid of testing the system with a flush. I think I'll leave that for tomorrow. Can't have too much excitement in one day!

Exercise: walked 8 blocks, climbed 42 (!) flights of stairs.

-30-

No comments: