Friday, September 30, 2005

from the "just cause it's foreign doesn't mean it's good" dept.

It's the second full day of the film fest. Yesterday was hell getting to the first movie. The rain. The parking. The world conspiring against me.

Today I left earlier -- took the Seabus downtown. And then Skytrain to near the first theatre (about 8 blocks).

Film #1: New World -- absolutely blew. It sucked. Complete let down. It was supposed to be this visually stunning piece on Eastern Europe, including many of the places I visited this spring. But it was boring, trying to spin old news clips on history with modern day people. Most of the subjects were boring, and poorly shot. Editing was clunky. And this film was from the Austrian Film Commission. Sheesh. The only part I liked was one scene where we meet a Ukranian trolley driver and her family. Shot in the winter, it reminded me of Winnipeg. Other than that -- it sucked!

Off to see film #2. Review will come tonight.

Cheers!

No comments: