Monday, January 22, 2007

from the "first day of work" dept.

Hi!

This posting won't be as lengthy as my previous tome.

The main reason is that the internet is so slow and unreliable, long postings are only possible if I write them on my laptop -- and then cart it to downtown Takoradi. This will explain the lack of pictures as well.

I hope to resolve the issue as soon as possible. I wish I could use the internet at work, but it's broken.

Speaking of work: today was my first day at the plant.

As previously mentioned, SKYY is a rather big operation with about 90 employees. Today, I joined the news staff for their 8 a.m. editorial meeting.

It was similar to a Vancouver news meeting, except it lasted nearly 90 minutes. Each reporter is expected to come up with two or three stories... and then do them. There is no look-ahead calendar. Reporters have to be looking for stories at all times.

Some of the stories will be done for SKYY Radio, some for TV and some for both.

The meeting featured a lot of arguing and bashing of ideas -- but in the end, nearly 20 stories were assigned.

However, there is a problem. Gear. The station has three PD-170s and one HD CAM. But one 170 is on the fritz.

So three cameras to about eight reporters. No problem, right?

Well, there is just one news vehicle. One! I waited most of the morning to go out on a shoot with one of the reporters, but that never happened. By 2 p.m. I had to be elsewhere.

But wait! There's more!

There is only ONE edit suite! A non-linear Adobe Premier suite. Well, there are two others, but they're reserved for promos and commercials. And all three suites are in the same room!

There's no Choppy here.

The days ahead will be interesting. I've been asked to do some long features for radio... and I am holding a workshop on how to make good TV with little gear.

I also look forward to heading out into the field and watching the editing process. Tim Latham, consider yourself lucky!

After I left work, I went shopping with Kweku's girlfriend Grace. We bought a bucket, some sheets, Corn Flakes and real coffee! Wandering around the crazy market was a true experience.

I'm looking forward to finally having food in the house. A good thing beause as of this posting Tuesday afternoon, I have yet to eat. Go figure.

I remain happy and healthy and hope for that to continue.

More to come...

Cheers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep it up, love to hear what it is like. Give us more please .....

CanuckOnFire

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're there safe and sound. Go for a motorscooter: I can *totally* see you on one!