Thursday, April 13, 2006

from the "back in B.C." dept.

Not British Columbia, but Belize City.

It was a sad walk to the water taxi this morning.

After paying -- and getting a discount-- from Heather at the Costa Maya office, I began my slow death march to the main dock. One of the things I dislike the most (in the world!) is the walk to the Caye Caulker water taxi with my bags. It announces to the world that I am leaving, that I suck.

I arrived early and turned red in the sun as I waited for the boat. There was a bit of a monkey f*** when the boat that was going from San Pedro (on Ambergris Caye) to Belize City arrived packed.

But I got on.

And I met a couple of Canadians -- another Ivan from San Ignacio (a female teacher) and her friend from Toronto. We proceeded to talk about Belizean politics for the entire journey back.

Also, as this is the kick off to Easter, the Kruffy were arriving on Caulker in droves. Good time not to be there.

Meanwhile, at the water taxi terminal in Belize City: madness! It was all I could to do escape the terminal and snag a cab. Although Brent and Roh's home is but blocks away, my old back and laziness precluded walking. And hell, the flat rate is US$3.50. Not much of an argument there.

I am now at Brent and Roh's and into my third rum. It is hot, but quiet. The last night in Belize will once again be traditional (for me) a big feed at the local (only?) Indian restaurant.

And, as mentioned below, I fly to Dallas and then Seattle tomorrow. Am I looking forward to that? Hell no.

But I am looking forward to selling my vital organs so I can purchase .6 acres of Belizean land for US$13,000. I failed to win the lottery again, and I have no children to sell, so vital organs it is.

Cheers!

No comments: