Saturday, April 08, 2006

From the "ball of fun" dept.


Ball
Originally uploaded by borderfilms.com.

The remainder of Friday was equally intense as the earlier part of the day. I pretty much did squat. Which remains not only my focus, but the point.

Having internet access in my cabana is nice, as I am able to use Skype to call my friends and family from the comfort of the balcony. Isn't technology wonderful?

The weather here has been typical: cool, sunny mornings with a nice breeze off the Caribbean Sea, hot as hell afternoons, cool evenings, and at night the wind picks up and blows coolness across the island. The night sky is cloudless and because there is very little light pollution, you're treated to an incredible display of stars. The best view is from the nearby dock -- lying on your back and gazing upward.

I ran into Heather, who manages Costa Maya Cabanas, down at the Lazy Lizard bar at sunset. She told me the bar has really gone downhill -- and it is also for sale. There's also been a ton of erosion since last year. It looked pretty dumpy, and the crowd was half my age. I feel like I'm significantly older during this visit. Odd. After taking a few shots with the point-and-shoot, I wandered home.

For dinner I put my culinary skills to the test and made a big pot of chili. I should have bought some tortilla for this morning, as I could have made something with the leftovers. Instead, it was a bowl of Mexican Raisin Bran. Yummers.

The night ended quietly as I got sucked into watching The Incredibles on cable. What a great flick!

It is now Saturday morning. The cool breeze accompanies a pot of so-so coffee. Still, even though my cabana is US$75/night, I am saving a ton by not eating out. Probably halving my costs.

The agenda includes reading while listing to Radio Paradise while swinging in my hammock.

Brent may come over today from Belize City, although he's been experiencing back problems and that may keep him at home. Roh and her band are playing in the city tonight as well, so Saturday night on Caye Caulker may be a quiet one.

I'm beginning to think of the trip home. While still nearly a week away, I know it will arrive before I know it. And then it's back to real life. Hmmm.

Work is the big question mark. Lots of irons in the fire, but it is looking pretty lean for the remainder of April. Things should work out, and I have a bit of a cushion, but I would rather use that to buy my .6 acres of paradise.

Maybe today is the day that I win the lotto. Although, I sort of doubt it...

Time for another cuppa...

Cheers!

No comments: