Friday, August 15, 2014

THR +42

August 15, 2014

Today marks six weeks since I had my total hip replacement and while recovery has slowed down a bit, things continue to improve.

- I now walk exclusively with a cane

- There is no real pain in the hip area

- I walk around the apartment unassisted about 50% of the time

- Showering isn't near the hassle it used to be

- Getting in and out of bed is easy-peasy

- My strength is definitely increasing

- I can climb the occasional flight of stairs using alternating legs

- I can drive a car (and my handicapped parking permit has arrived)

- I can get out when I want (and sit, as long as I bring my special pillow!)

But:

- When I walk without assistance, I have a limp (meaning the left leg is still weak)

- My right shoulder and hand continue to be painful

- Sleep is still difficult (though that may be changing, see below)

Overall, everything is great. I'm surprised how far I've come and how fast the time has passed. Six weeks already? Crazy!

Regarding my inability to sleep (or get comfortable enough to sleep), there may be light at the end of the tunnel.

I went to bed last night around 11. I took an oxy about an hour before. I fell asleep quickly but woke up at 12:30am.

After struggling to get comfortable (the right shoulder is the big problem) I managed to get back to sleep. I woke up a few times overnight but not for long.

Around 6am I was up again. After a quick visit to the bathroom, I went back to bed for a bit -- and fell asleep! I woke up at 8:30, feeling like I'd had an actual good night's rest.

I closed my eyes again and suddenly it was 9am.

Now, I don't like sleeping in so late as I feel like I'm behind the gun for the rest of the day. I like having 2-3 hours of me time in the morning to putter around and read the news.

However, the fact that I slept for nearly three extra hours is definitely a sign I need rest. And perhaps it's part of the healing process deep within my leg.

It may be time to go back to taking afternoon naps -- something I haven't done for about a week.
§ § §

Not much on the agenda today. I think I'll go for a long walk but other than that, I'll just take it easy.

My car share company has a deal tomorrow: a car for 24 hours (including gas and insurance), plus 400km mileage allowance) for $50 (+tax). I may take advantage so that I can do some running around and exploring. 

UPDATE:

Went for a long walk. Watched some TV. Was incredibly bored all evening. Went to bed at 10.

Exercise: 10 flights, 29 blocks (4km), physio


-30-

No comments: